At Microsoft Inspire 2020, Microsoft noted that it will be adding a new user license for some select meeting and calling features called “Advanced Communication” license. This license will be additive to existing commercial licenses (like E5).
Some of the types of features that will require the “Advanced Communication” license noted at Inspire 2020 are:
- Large meetings
- Customized lobby controls
- Compliance / policy call recording
Update: Microsoft has now communicated more granularity on what will be included with the “Advanced Communications” license:
- Released at launch
- Live event limits to 20k participant (50 concurrent, 16 hours)
- Compliance Recording integration (ISV)
- Contact Center solution integration (ISV)
- Released later in CY2020
- 1000 person interactive Teams meeting
- Interactive meetings for 1000 participants with the capability to enabled up to 20,000 in a ‘view only’ meeting
- Custom branded meeting lobby
- Additional customizations, tool and communications enhancements will be added to the SKU throughout the calendar year
Some Questions We Had
Q. What features will all need the “Advanced Communication” license?
A. [still collecting the exactly list of what features will require the new license…]
A. The “Advanced Communication” license will be available on August 1, 2020. A 60-90 day trial license will be available on August 1. All commercial licenses can have this added to it, and at this time no license includes it. The license will be $12 per user per month. EDU licensing is $2.50 per user per month.
Some Comments on this change
 Microsoft “Advanced Communication FAQ”